2. What makes the Scooby Doo crew a perfect team? Let's look at the team through the BELBIN lens! Every member of this crew is unique.
DOES YOUR TEAM SPEAK BELBIN? WHY NOT?
Hybrid teamwork demands effective collaboration that comes from communication and delegation
As we see lesser of each other, aren't we missing the warmth of the physical workplace? Isn't screen to screen interaction taking away the comfort that comes with being in acceptable social distance? Aren't we missing our usual verbal and non verbal body language cues, feeling challenged to communicate, delegate and collaborate effectively? This is where Belbin can help.
What is Belbin?
Belbin is all about becoming aware of behavioral preferences of oneself and of those one works with. It is about self awareness, of that part of oneself, that one can change. So, how does life change when your teams start speaking Belbin?
With Belbin, you find out what you are – a Plant, a Resource Investigator etc – and then you tell everyone in your team and stick to the work that suits you. Right?
Belbin is NOT personality typing
At Belbin, we hesitate to say someone is a particular role. First off, each of us typically has two or three preferred roles we can play, and these all interact to shape our behaviours, forming a unique Team Role ‘fingerprint’, not a pigeon-hole.
Belbin helps people move beyond preferred behaviors
Secondly, Belbin Team Roles can be used to describe our approach to the work we do, not just our behaviours. And the interplay between the two can be interesting and complex, because few of us can play to our strengths all the time. In reality, we often face opportunities – and challenges – to move beyond our preferred behaviours.
Belbin enables collaboration through effective communication and delegation
At the moment, with many of us working remotely and dealing with additional stressors, chances for misunderstandings and miscommunications are rife, and clarity is more important than ever.
How do we use Belbin Team Roles to help define and delegate tasks and responsibilities?
Here is our guide to describing work in Belbin Team Role terms, all of which can be heard around in Belbin HQ and in CERT INDIA conversations on a regular basis!
“I think we need to ME this” (MONITOR EVALUATOR) Often heard at the end of the ideas phase, where lots of Plant contributions have been made, and there is perhaps a temptation to press forward with one idea in particular. This is a way of creating time and space between idea and implementation, because the ME’s considered, logical analysis is needed to ensure that all implications have been fully considered, rather than going with the most eye-catching prospect.
“I’m going to put my COORDINATOR hat on.” Note: spoken by the person with high Co-ordinator in their profile, since they’re more than likely to be the one describing what is needed! Often means that others are becoming caught up in ideas, processes or details and failing to step back and look at the bigger picture. Or perhaps that efforts are disparate and not working towards the same outcome.
“We need a SPECIALIST approach.” The Specialist role is all about a love of learning and delving into subjects in depth. If you’re investing in this kind of work, you want someone to work autonomously to navigate their way all around a particular topic and report back. This kind of research is likely to take time.
“I’m going to have to be the SHAPER on this one.” Everything is drifting and the deadline is rapidly approaching. Someone needs to get everyone moving and keep an eye on the clock. Note: it’s rarely other team members requesting this contribution, because they’re likely to be having a lovely time and not realise that Shaper behaviour is needed until it’s too late.
“Let’s take a TEAMWORKER approach.” Perhaps said if providing support above and beyond what is required, or giving someone the benefit of the doubt. Those with Teamworker high in their profile are perceptive and diplomatic, and prioritise others’ feelings, especially within the team. So this might be more commonly said to those who don’t have such high Teamworker!
We know that times are tough. We’re here to make communication and collaboration a little less bumpy. Communication is vital right now, especially as we are navigating hybrid working.
Adapted from www.belbin.com
To know more about the nine Belbin Team Role behaviours, watch a 2 Minute fun film here.
Want to explore Belbin?
Choose how you want to get started...
- Let's have a 'no obligation' exploratory conversation, on how Belbin can be of value for me. Call me at my convenience.
- Keep me updated on upcoming events & latest insights from the Belbin world on transforming performance of people and teams
- Let me begin by downloading samples of a BELBIN Individual Report and BELBIN Team Report
- Listen to a recorded TeamCast on Belbin for Building High Performance Teams
- I want to get BELBIN Accredited. Tell me how.
3. In this Scooby Doo series of posts, we have been looking at the Scooby Doo crew through the BELBIN lens, to discover what makes them a perfect team.
4. Sounds Familiar? Of course it does! It’s just good old Fred from the Scooby Doo crew gearing up for their next adventure! Soo how exactly does Fred lead the chase?
5. In this Scooby Doo series, we’ve been looking at this awesome crew through the Belbin lens! We’ve already seen Scooby, Shaggy and Fred!
6. You know Daphne has gotten herself into trouble, when you hear this! Daphne is the first one to run into trouble in the Scooby Crew.